Saturday, September 17, 2011

Interview with Debi Cady of DebiCady

Debi Cady




Debi Cady's mini dachshund Ringo



Rico:
What's Your Name?


Debi Cady :

Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Debi Cady :
 
DebiCady

Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Debi Cady :
Since 2010 (can't remember which month) Rico: Are you a ProSeller?

Debi Cady :
No, but hopefully one day I will be!

Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Debi Cady :
Hmm... I really didn't get much advice from anybody, to be honest.

Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Debi Cady :
I do most of my illustrations in ink or digital paint. I occasionally dabble in photography as well.

Rico:
Who or what inspires you?


Debi Cady :
So many things! God, nature, colors, music, literature, architecture... far too many things to list here.

Rico:
How much time a week to you spend on Zazzle?


Debi Cady :
It depends. Some weeks it's only an hour or two, but when I have a new design to post I spend a lot more time there.

Rico:
What's the best advise you can give someone just starting out on Zazzle?


Debi Cady :
Post your designs on as many products as you can (as long as they will look good on them), and post as many designs as you can, as long as they are designs you are happy with. Don't be discouraged if you don't make sales right away, eventually you will. Stay positive, and look into as many different marketing ideas as you can.

Rico:
What do you like to do when you are not creating art?


Debi Cady :
Knit, sew (although I consider these things to be art too), play with my dog, read, learn foreign languages, dance, sing, spend time with family and friends, watch movies.

Rico:
Tell me 5 random things everyone should know about you? 


Debi Cady :
I am a Christian (although you could probably tell that from some of my art)
I absolutely adore animals!
I love learning about other cultures and languages - I speak Chinese (Mandarin), basic Russian, and I'm learning Korean. I also know a smattering of a bunch of other languages.
If I weren't an artist, I would love to be involved in costume or fashion design.
I used to work as a Chinese>English translator before I decided to focus on my art.

Rico:
List 3 of your favorite designs you want me to feature. Tell me something about each design.


Debi Cady :
It's so hard to choose, because in one way or another they are all my favorites! But here are three I think turned out particularly well (I'm linking to the greeting/note cards, but they are all available on other products too):


Our Lady of Guadalupe:




The original illustration is the size of a baseball card, yet I think it is one of my best. It's also one of my best sellers ^-^ I have always loved reading the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe, it's very beautiful.





Emelya and the Magic Pike:


This is an illustration from my book, "Dachshund Furry Tails: Russia". The story is about a very lazy boy who catches a pike, and is planning to eat it, but the pike tells him if he sets it free it will grant him any wish he may have. Aside from it being a very cool fairy tale, I like this illustration because the pike reminds me of my grandfather, who passed away years ago - he used to hunt and fish a lot, and that was one of the fish he often caught. Also, I just really like the way this illustration turned out ^-^.





The Snow Maiden (Red Version):


The Snow Maiden is another fairy tale I really love, it's about a childless couple who make themselves a daughter out of snow, and she comes to life. This illustration is a new version I did, with the Snow Maiden dressed in white and red, I also offer another version where she is dressed in blue. I am very happy with both versions.

Rico: 

This is one of my personal favorite designs from your shop



Christmas Dachshund (Ver.1) Card


Ringo is just too cute to resist!

Rico:
Where else can our readers find you online?





Debi Cady :My Cafe Press store
My Red Bubble Store
My Blog

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for another great interview. Lovely to learn about another store keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview - thank you! ~ Diane Clancy

    ReplyDelete