Monday, March 25, 2013

Interview with Edvar Ess Part 1

 
Edvar Ess HardCandy GFX

Interview with Edvar Ess Part 1


Rico:
What's Your Name?


Edvar Ess :


Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Edvar Ess :

HardCandy GFX

I only have one shop, HardCandy GFX. I sell my artwork, my line of clubwear and a selection of gifts - all designed by me. The name is the same as my design agency, where I provide bespoke designs for event poster and flyers, business cards, house styles etc.


Rico:
How did you find Zazzle?


Edvar Ess :
Zazzle was recommended to me by a family member who read about it online somewhere.


Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Edvar Ess :
I am very new to Zazzle, I started with my store just last week. It's not been great for my health either, as it's an obsession. I pulled many all-night sessions designing new products and customizing the look of my store. In fact, last night was the first time I actually slept at night, and for more than 3 hours!


Rico:
Are you a ProSeller?
If yes, how long from the time you open a shop until you made it to ProSeller?


Edvar Ess :
No, not yet.. but I hope to be, one happy day!


Rico:
What made you decide to open your own store?


Edvar Ess :
I have been making photographic art for a long time now, and my friends and family have long been encouraging me to create a marketplace to sell prints. The range of products Zazzle allows vendors to create, and the level of freedom with regards to royalty setting and store design was very attractive to me, so the decision was easily made.


Rico:
What makes your shop stand out from the rest?


Edvar Ess :
On first inspection, the overall visual style of the the store-front is very unique and colorful. The art prints on sale is very much my own personal style (which I hope is appealing to my potential customers), and my range of club-wear and gifts also have a fresh and engaging look which you cannot find elsewhere.


Rico:
How would you describe your design style?


Edvar Ess :
I am a bit of a split personality here, as I have my art and my product designs.
My art starts off with photographs I make, in locations ranging from Spanish islands to abandoned Soviet military bases in the Czech Republic. Then I send many hours changing and adapting the look of those photos (sometimes even adding fantasy elements or manually overpainting them) until I am totally satisfied with the result.

My clubwear is divided mainly into two categories: Colorful or monochrome renders based on complicated mathematical formulas which result in eye-catching and unique forms; and the typography category. Both categories are inspired by and made for the electronic music scene fan-base, but are suitable for many others.

Aside from those I also make some fun and bright designs for iPhone cases, skateboards and other gift items.


Rico:
What type of product do you prefer to design?


Edvar Ess :
I love making my photographic art, but my love of seeing beautiful forms emerge from raw mathematics is mesmerizing!


Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Edvar Ess :
"Don't expect sales immediately" Things start slowly and will row from there.


Rico:
What was your first Sale (include link)?


Edvar Ess :

A shirt from my "Techno Tees" line.

Techno Tees clubbing t-shirts


Techno Tees: Unique minimal 3D fractal designs for the discerning party animal. Designed by HardCandy Graphics.


Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Edvar Ess :
I use a whole host of software tools ranging from Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign to fractal generators and digital light studios.

On the hardware side I have my trusted DLSR camera and a stout pair of trekking shoes.


Rico:
A few of my Favorite designs from HardCandy GFX :




Band-aid messenger bag

This one's been through the wars. A colorful band-aid print cover this handy messenger bag.


Steampunk Laptop Sleeve

This Soviet era flight suit will certainly make thieves think twice before snagging your laptop.



Winter Entry Poster
Winter Entry Poster
Winter Entry Poster by HardCandyGFX
Find other Stairs Posters at zazzle.com

Jested, Czech Republic. By Edvar Ess


Electric Buddha iPhone case Cases For iPhone 5

This fractal-like Buddha image seems to spring off the surface with electric intensity. 


The second half of the Interview with Edvar Ess : will be posted on Wednesday March 27, 2013. So come back for more with Edvar Ess!


No comments:

Post a Comment