Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Interview with Kathryn Strick of KAStrick Designs




Kathryn Strick of KAStrick Designs 
Kathryn Strick of KAStrick Designs


Rico:
What's Your Name?


Kathryn Strick


Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Kathryn Strick :

KAStrick Designs


Rico:
What type of product do you sell the most of?


Kathryn Strick :
I am placing my designs on clothing & accessories, mugs, and laptop sleeves primarily. Zazzle is bringing out new items all the time, so I will be looking for those items where my designs can best be presented. Right now I am focusing on messenger bags and place mats.


Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Kathryn Strick :
Two months


Rico:
Are you a ProSeller?


Kathryn Strick :
Not yet


Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Kathryn Strick :
The information on the forums has been very helpful for marketing and networking.


Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Kathryn Strick :
My Toshiba laptop and MandalaMaker 2.0 software. For some designs I have used Paint.net as well as the texturizing available through Microsoft Word of all places!


Rico:
Who or what inspires you?


Kathryn Strick :
I am inspired by nature, various cultural and spiritual influences. I lived in Colorado for a time in the 80's, so the colors of the southwest and Native American design are a big influence. Poetry and song lyrics will often come to mind while I am creating a design.


Rico:
How much time a week to you spend on Zazzle?


Kathryn Strick :
Since I am just starting out while working part-time, raising a family, and doing volunteer work, probably 10-20 hours a week. I try to create one design every couple of days, and then place the designs on the items for my store.


Rico:
What's the best advise you can give someone just starting out on Zazzle?


Kathryn Strick :
Don't compare your artistic work with others. Stay true to your inner muse. There will be a niche just for you.


Rico:
What do you like to do when you are not creating art?


Kathryn Strick :
I am a professional counselor & therapist using Reiki and other energy therapies; cooking & baking; an avid reader of science fiction and suspense novels; a hospice volunteer; enjoying time with my husband and teenage sons.


Rico:
Tell me 5 random things everyone should know about you?


Kathryn Strick :
I've stood in both oceans,

hiked down Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point in the Grand Canyon,

would move to Montana in a heartbeat,

never stopped looking for a horse on Christmas morning,

and yes I do believe we are not alone in this vast Universe.


Rico:
Include links to 3 of your favorite designs you want me to feature. Tell me something about each design. 

 

Kathryn Strick :




Red Star Kachina 2012 Magnets



There are Native American prophecies about the appearance of the Red & Blue Star Kachinas signaling the transition from the 4th to the 5th world. Kachinas are supernatural beings who bestow health, happiness, and long life upon the people.





Up up and Away 2012 Mug


Up up and Away 2012 zazzle_mug
Up up and Away 2012 by KAStrickDesigns
Make a unique personalized coffee mug online at Zazzle.

Clare Goodwin chose this design for her Center of the Circle Newsletter in Deceber 2011, when I was chosen artist of the month. Alan Goodwin is the developer of the MandalaMaker 2.0 software that I use to create my designs. I had only been using the software for a month, so I was very pleased to have been noticed!






Courage 2012 sticker



This is a richly colored, strong mandala, featuring a central yantra. A yantra is used as a meditative focus, and while you see it in two dimensions, it is actually a multidimensional structure for accessing higher consciousness.


Rico:
One of My Favorite Designs from you shop: 

 




Dreamcatcher 2012 neck tie



Dream-catchers filter out bad dreams according to Native American lore. They are burned to nothingness in the rising sun the next morning.Rico: I love dream catchers! Love this design and colors.


Rico:
Where else can our readers find you online?


Kathryn Strick :

My designs are available through Fine Art America as canvas and acrylic prints, framed and matted, or art cards.

KAStrick Designs Fine Art

My Facebook Fan Page is KAStrick Designs.

KAStrick Designs Facebook Fan Page
 

Rico:
Anything else you'd like to share?


Kathryn Strick :

I am looking at other formats to have my designs printed on tiles, cloth, and ceramic dinnerware. There are local art shows coming up that I am exploring as venues for getting my designs known here at home.

When I was in high school we took an interest survey for career planning. My results said I should be either an artist or a forest ranger. I spent the majority of my adult life in science, education, and technology. I'd like to find the fulfillment of my artistic side in this last part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment