Sunday, June 24, 2012

Interview with Jenny Setchell of Organ Gifts


Jenny Setchell  
Jenny Setchell


Rico:
What's Your Name?


Jenny Setchell

 

Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Jenny Setchell :

Organ Gifts

I sell products about organs. That is, pipe organs! (www.organgifts.com). Pipe organs are known as the King of Instruments, and I am an organist and married to an international concert organist so we see and play a large number of famous and fantastic instruments around the world. There are also a few cat and dog designs that have crept in too.



Rico:
What type of product do you sell the most of?


Jenny Setchell :
Calendars, followed closely by mugs, cards, tees and mousepads



Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Jenny Setchell :
Since May, 2009



Rico:
How did you find Zazzle?


Jenny Setchell :
Through recommendation from a shopkeeper who was also dissatisfied with another similar business.



Rico:
Are you a ProSeller?
If yes, how long from the time you open a shop until you made it to ProSeller?


Jenny Setchell :
Yes... Gosh - a tricky one! Not exactly sure, but maybe 18 months?



Rico:
What made you decide to open your own store?


Jenny Setchell :
I have squillions of lovely photos of organs ( and other things too, just in case you think I'm a total nerd!) having been semi-professional photographer since my teens. It seemed a crime to not share these and my love of pipe organs with others, and in the process make a bit of money - to pay for my next camera!



Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Jenny Setchell :
Opt for quality over quantity; take time to make things well.



Rico:
What was your first sale?


Jenny Setchell :
The organ in St Sulpice, Paris, mug.


St Sulpice mug


St Sulpice mug
St Sulpice mug by organs
Get your mugs personalised at zazzle.com

One of the most famous organs in the world - St Sulpice, in Paris - makes a perfect mug for the organ music lover.



Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Jenny Setchell :
A Canon 7D camera, and photoshop CS5



Rico:
What is your favorite aspect about Zazzle?


Jenny Setchell :
Being able to create and make use of my images.



Rico:
Who or what inspires you?


Jenny Setchell :
Other shopkeepers inspire me a lot. I enjoy reading through the forums when I have time. Also getting a sale is always a great spur to produce more or do some more advertising.



Rico:
How much time a week to you spend on Zazzle?


Jenny Setchell :
Um.. this varies depending on whether I am on tour taking more photos! On average maybe 20-25 hours? Closer to Christmas (and it comes to calendar-making time), it would be nearer 50 hours!



Rico:
What's the best advise you can give someone just starting out on Zazzle?


Jenny Setchell :
Take your time and choose only quality images. After creating them, buy your own stuff so you know what it really looks like. Test everything. And enjoy yourself.



Rico:
What do you like to do when you are not creating art?


Jenny Setchell :
I enjoy music, and puzzles. My cats (and husband!) insist that I live in order to please them so they have to feature somewhere.



Rico:
For most each product or design they create is special. What is your most favorite design and why (include link)?


Jenny Setchell :
One of the organ calendars this year, Pipe Organ calendar 2012 - vertical Series D, features on the back a shot of the Rieger organ in the Christchurch Town Hall where my husband has been the city organist since 1997. This organ is now silent because of our devastating earthquakes in 2010-2011 that have brought our city to its knees. After nearly 10,000 aftershocks, we are still unable to get in the town hall and this organ may never play again in this venue. Its future is uncertain and we fear it may be decades before it is heard once more. If ever.


Pipe Organ calendar 2012 - vertical Series D






Rico:
Tell me 5 random things everyone should know about you?


Jenny Setchell :

1. One of my most satisfying projects was writing and publishing a book called "Organ-isms: Anecdotes from the World of the King of Instruments".

2. My mantra is: "out of bad always comes good"

3. If you ever, ever, ever hurt an animal, consider yourself off my Christmas card list - permanently.

4. I'm getting shorter and wider than I used to be.

5. I have a heavy vehicle (truck) driving licence (just LOVE that big machinery!).



Rico:
Include 3 of your favorite designs you want me to feature. Tell me something about each design.



Jenny Setchell :



Organ music binder - green 1.5 inch
 



I'm thrilled with the way this organ music binder worked out - the stops appear to jump off the spine. Believe it or not this green organ is real, photographed in Oppenheim, Germany. For people who get their music in a mess (I have my hand up!) this is a great way to help keep it organised.




Pipe organ calendar #8 for 2012



Calendars of organs are my main passion, and I was especially pleased with this one because it takes the viewer up closer than anyone normally goes to an organ. Some of the intricate details in the facades and the pipework are extraordinary.




Organists are great mug



Organists by and large are a jolly lot who love a laugh in between (or sometimes during) the sermon, so I have many funny products with punning contents or sayings, such as in the "Organists are Great, and Swell, and Positif" series. The mug works very well and has been a good seller.



Rico:
If you could purchase ANY item (from someone else) what would it be? Why?


Jenny Setchell :
Oh Crikey, that's the toughest question of all!! Ok, I can bring it to 2:



Vintage European Bellows Film Camera iPhone 4/4S



Such a clever use of an image;

and then there's


Abraham Ortelius Maps Calendar



which is a most elegant and beautifully produced calendar by worldatlas. I love maps which is why I drool over his products!



Rico:
Zazzle has helped many people meet goals that they otherwise wouldn’t have achieved. What has Zazzle helped you to achieve in your personal life?


Jenny Setchell :
I have been able to share many of my photographs with people around the world. If I wasn't able to do that, there wouldn't be much point in taking them. And Zazzle makes such a good job of it too, especially with the posters and calendars.



Rico:
Where else can our readers find you online? (Facebook, Twitter, other blog or website)


Jenny Setchell :

Facebook

Blog

Website


1 comment: