Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Interview with Matt Hymes of Hymes Design

Matt Hymes of Hymes Design

















Matt Hymes of Hymes Design


Rico:
What's Your Name?


Matt Hymes aka Hymes Design and that's what I look like. Trust me it's less scary that the real deal, so go with it, oh and he's wearing one of my shirt designs on a color I don't know if it comes in...weird right?

Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Matt Hymes :
 
Hymes Design

It doesn't have a true theme at this point in time, basically it showcases my insanity. If I have an idea and it turns out mediocre to great I upload it to my store. I do currently limit my selection to shirts, ties, phone covers, speakers, and my favorite product the customizable keds "sneakers."

Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Matt Hymes :
Technically a little over two years, but not accurately because I made a shop toward the end of 2009 uploaded a few designs and quit in a childish tantrum when a design was pulled do to trademarks. I then waited several months and read the guidelines finally before starting up again and this time uploading thrity shirts like it was an accomplishment, I waited three months before a sold anything, and in a fit of stupidity I ended up erasing that design after the sale which led to me giving up again. This time however I've come to zazzle with a different attitude, I am no longer trying to get rich, or find the secret to happiness I'm just having fun uploading designs and being a part of everything. Having been back for just over a week and a half I've already tripled my product lines, maybe quadrupled, and made two sales. Makes me wonder what changed about me that I finally grew up and did things right.

Rico: Are you a ProSeller?

Matt Hymes :
No I'm not a proseller, but when I become one I might be willing to share my secrets. The first being right there, read that sentence, "When I become one," you have to have confidence in your designs and the will to see it through to become a proseller, and this time around I have both.

Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Matt Hymes :
When I was first starting out I didn't seek any advice, and I failed because of it. This time around I read forums, studied other shops, and even browsed a few blogs and squidoos. The best advice I got from it all is that I was being childish the first two times I made a go of things. There are billions of designs in zazzle's marketplace and I expected thirty shirts to make me a living without promoting them anywhere, or bothering to mess with the keywords and descriptions. Epic failure on my part.

Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Matt Hymes :
90% of everything I do comes from adobe illustrator, the other 10% was in Photoshop at some point, but probably started in Illustrator. I draw cartoons, it's my only artistic talent away from the computer and Illustrator lets me do that and much much more. Plus the concept of vector designs being scalable without losing resolution etc. is pretty cool. My talents don't often lend me confidence in Photoshop, but I respect those who have mastered its intricacies. Don't get me wrong, I do web design and use Photoshop there a ton and it never lets me down, but for print work I prefer Illustrator ever single time.

Rico:
Who or what inspires you?


Matt Hymes :
My inspiration comes from everywhere, movies, books, advertisements, but the things that inspire me most are searching google for keywords like "vector art" or "cool vector designs" etc. The true vector masters blow me away, but at the same time I find myself getting ideas from their masterpieces. It's like going to a museum and then getting out your notepad and doodling when you get home. I'll never produce a Mona Lisa, but I might just parody her with a mustache and a cowboy hat. Another source of inspiration is my dreams, I have one messed up mind sometimes...

Rico:
How much time a week to you spend on Zazzle?


Matt Hymes :
It's hard to say being so new to come back, but this last week I've easily put in 50+ hours I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher than that even. I don't anticipate having this kind of drive forever, but while I lasts I'm milking it dry. Plus I do freelance graphic design normally so when I get another client I'll have to put them over my store. At least until I'm making enough money through zazzle to justify turning down other work, which I don't see happening in the next few months.

Rico:
What's the best advise you can give someone just starting out on Zazzle?


Matt Hymes :
Realize what you're competing with, look through the marketplace, read some things (I know but sometimes you have to), and most importantly be prepared to put in the work. I can attest to the fact thirty designs, even good ones, won't make you rich. It's hard to find anything in the marketplace, and even if you truly stand out if nobody can find you then nobody will be buying your stuff. Think of zazzle more like a job and you'll do much better for it. Although if you're just looking for a place to display a few designs to impress your friends you can use zazzle for that too, but don't expect something like that to do much business.So to make it clear, what I'm saying is you have to stick with it, the more you put in the higher your chances of success.

Rico:
What do you like to do when you are not creating art?


Matt Hymes :
I watch movies, and TV shows like nobodies business. I also write fiction, but I'm not pompous enough to claim I'm a writer yet. When I'm published or at least self published, then I'll take that notch on my belt. The rest of my time is spent sleeping. Yeah I'm lame, my social calendar hasn't been full in ages.

Rico:
Tell me 5 random things everyone should know about you? 


Matt Hymes :
 
I snore, loudly, enough to wake myself up sometimes.

I hate vegetables.

In a zombie apocalypse I'd be the douche bag who closes the door on somebody who might have made it if I'd waited just a little longer, because hey I've seen the movies and somebody has to be that guy.

If I could have any super power I'd take super speed, which nobody ever seems to think is as cool as I do.

And lastly I hate heights, even climbing on top of a chair scares the crap out of me. I'd fight a bear before I'd climb a ladder to get on a roof, or go sky diving.

Rico:
List 3 of your favorite designs you want me to feature. Tell me something about each design.


Matt Hymes :


Robot in Disguise Shirt




I actually plan to eventually redo this shirt. Maybe, I don't know, the idea still makes me laugh but there's something unbalanced about the text.


Argyle Pattern Low Top Sneakers, blue and orange Pro-keds Low Top Shoe



I cry when I think about how I'll never wear these shoes. My feet are wide, and it's a curse, because I'm like a girl with a problem when it comes to sneakers. Or hats, i have a huge head and hats never fit me... I'll be okay, just give me a minute.


Retro swooping stripes on brown, hitop sneakers. pro-keds high top sneaker



I probably have better shoes in my shop, but I love these, they came out better than expected, and while I've since seen something I could have done to make them better I'm not going to mess with them. Their simplicity reminds me that sometimes I should feel the design instead of trying to force it to be what I want it to be. I'm getting all zen up in here.

Rico:
This is one of my personal favorite designs from your shop

Random Patterned Tie



Random Patterned Tie tie
Random Patterned Tie by Hymesdesign
Create your own personalized neckties on zazzle.com

Rico: Love the colors and pattern!

Rico:
Where else can our readers find you online?

Matt Hymes :

Obviously I have a Zazzle store, but you have the link to that up there, stop being lazy and scroll up.

I have a Facebook but I don't like using it much so I'll be keeping it a secret.

I use twitter even less but I do have one, my user name is hymesdesign just like on zazzle. Twitter

And finally my webdesign website - Hymes Design



2 comments: