Thursday, October 13, 2011

Interview with Joyce Geleynse of JoyArt

Joyce Geleynse of JoyArt
















Joyce Geleynse of JoyArt

Rico:
What's Your Name?


Joyce Geleynse

Rico:
List your shop(s) -


Joyce Geleynse :
I have several shops but will only list my main two here.

Joyart

The first one is called "joyart" because my name is joyce, and I take great JOY in creating my art. This shop features my main style of art, which is realism, created mostly with pencil, color pencil, and oil pastel. There is no main theme, but my subject matter reflects my love of the country, animals, home life, nature, God, and the simple things in life.

Joyful Critters

This shop features my whimsical drawings of animals, created from my imagination. I am challenging myself, as a realist artist, to draw from my imagination once in a while. I think it opens doors for me as far as subject matter goes and it allows me to have fun, while still keeping my drawings realistic.  

Rico:
How long have you been at Zazzle?


Joyce Geleynse :
I have been at Zazzle since December, 2008.

Rico: Are you a ProSeller?
If yes, how long from the time you open a shop until you made it to ProSeller?

Joyce Geleynse :
Yes. I became a Basic Pro Seller about 20 months later, and am now a Bronze Pro Seller.

Rico:
What's the best advise you got when you were starting out?


Joyce Geleynse :
I think the best advice I got was to use good descriptions, titles, and keywords.

Rico:
What medium/tools do you use to create your designs?


Joyce Geleynse :
I draw or paint everything freehand with pencils, color pencils, and oil pastels.

Rico:
Who or what inspires you?


Joyce Geleynse :
I'm inspired by people and farm animals, as well as beautiful objects, particularly objects that are roundish and shiny, like marbles or balls or mushrooms, etc.

Rico:
How much time a week to you spend on Zazzle?


Joyce Geleynse :
I spend at least two hours a day on Zazzle, and often the whole day, which I can do, since I work full time as an artist. I sometimes think I should get away from the computer and back to my drawing board, but I know that getting creative and making more products with the designs I already have will pay dividends. I see Zazzle as a way of making "passive" income for years to come.

Rico:
What's the best advise you can give someone just starting out on Zazzle?


Joyce Geleynse :
My best advice is to create LOTS of products (making sure they are good ones, of course). You are competing with literally billions of other products so you need to be found. Don't ever get tired of creating new products. Use great keywords, titles and descriptions. Take part in the forums a lot, and use it as a means to advertise your products.

Rico:
What do you like to do when you are not creating art?


Joyce Geleynse :
I like to spend time with my large family, bike down country roads, read a good book, or engage in a friendly debate.

Rico:
Tell me 5 random things everyone should know about you? 


Joyce Geleynse :
a.) I have five grown kids
b.) I have fifteen grandkids
c.) I have a solar panel in my yard; another investment for future passive earnings!
d.) I am a follower of Jesus
e.) I play guitar and sing for patients at the local hospital once a month.

Rico:
List 3 of your favorite designs you want me to feature. Tell me something about each design.


Joyce Geleynse :
 
EGG REALISM ART CANVAS PRINT


This poster features my painting of a raw egg. A rather unusual subject, but I was very much drawn to the shapes, colors, and reflections in this image! I took a picture of an egg I was frying one morning, and then made my painting using the photo as a reference. I think it could be an interesting work of art to hang in a restaurant or in the kitchen area of a home. It is one of several images of eggs that can be found on many products in my "joyart" store.  

Cowboy With Chaps: I Love Cowboys: Pencil Iphone 4 Skins


This drawing is representative of my realism style. My "joyart" store has many realism drawings of horses and dogs, as well as people. The western-themed drawings are the result of having had two of my sons heavily involved in the world of rodeo, one as a bull rider, the other as a bronc rider...........even though we live in Eastern Canada!


Two Cute Little Mice and a Toadstool: Artwork Postcard


This is a color pencil drawing of two mice and a mushroom, created from my imagination. It is found in my new store "joyfulcritters". I am finding it great fun to take a break from my more "serious" drawings to create whimsical scenes that only come into existence because I imagine them and then draw them!

Rico:
This is one of my personal favorite designs from your shop Joyart:



Getting Hitched: Two Horses in Pastel: Wedding Greeting Card


Original art in oil pastel Send a unique, one of a kind wedding invitation (or engagement announcement) with this card featuring my oil pastel painting of two horses standing affectionately together at an open barn door. Rico: Beautifuly done!


Rico:
Where else can our readers find you online? 


Joyce Geleynse :

Joyce's Art Stores Blog
JoyceArt Esty
Facebook

1 comment: